Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Ouch! I Feel So Old!!!!

Heard this on the tv today as Kru was getting ready to watch his favorite show, The Backyardigans.

I was like....

25 YEARS!!!??????  Really????

Yes, I guess I was 10 years old when I wanted a Cabbage Patch Doll for my birthday!
And yes, that does mean I'm 35 almost 36!!!

OOOO I FEEL SO OLD!!!!!

I'm almost tempted to buy the cute African American newborn!  It's so sweet!!!

You see, when I was 10, I wanted a black baby!  
Not a doll mind you, but a real life black baby!  
I have always wanted to be a mother!!!!

I'm not sure why, but my parents freaked a little because this white little girl wanted a black baby, so they improvised...

There was a lady who made dolls in our church and they had her make me my very own African American homemade Cabbage Patch looking doll. (I would take a picture of her, but she is up in the attic in some box!)  She wasn't a newborn at all, almost weighing 10 pounds, but she was a black baby.

My parents made sure that I knew that this would be the only black baby I ever had!

I'm so embarrassed to even write that!

Because my heart is so not there and has never been there!

I'm not claiming that I'm not prejudice, because I honestly believe that we can not grow up and live in America and not have some prejudice within us.  I pray that as the Holy Spirit grows and changes me that that would lessen and that Christ's love would flow through me and out of me!

I love being in a church with families that adopt no matter the color of skin.  I love being able to be a part of their families!  The picture of adoption and the things that I have learned from these families has been wonderful.

25 years! That seems like an eternity ago!!! ;>)


1 comment:

Cindy said...

This post resonated with me on several levels. Thank you for that. I rememer my first (and only) cabbage patch doll. It was also handmade so lovingly by my sweet mom--who wouldn't have had the money to pay the exorbitant cost. I was so thrilled with that doll and I still have it somewhere . . . :)